5.24.2017

What We're Reading During School Break - 2017



I thought it would be fun to share with everyone what we will be reading during our "summer" break. We will actually start back to homeschool in July but for now we are on a nice LONG break! We like to keep our minds fresh during the time we are out of school, therefore, we still require reading (and a little math). The only difference is it doesn't matter what the boys read. It can be a small picture book or a 400 page book (we don't worry about reading levels during school break). They choose... it's completely up to them. Below is a list of our read alouds, the books I'm reading and what the boys chose to read. Please enjoy! 


Read Aloud - Read together as a Family :

Know Who You Are, Live Like It Matters - We received this book for a review and it has been a great blessing to our family. We have only read a few lessons so far and we are looking forward to seeing what all it has to offer. I love books that help build character in our boys and shows them God is what matters not the world. 1 John 2:15 - Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.




What I'm Reading:

I'm one of those readers who can't just chose one book and it stick with it.... I read MANY at the same time. It may sound silly but for me it works best. I have enjoyed reading the books listed below. My favorite so far is different by: Sally & Nathan Clarkson. I have read six of her books so far and I loved each of them. I can't wait to read more, she is such an inspiration. 



I'm also reading Educating The Wholehearted Child (written by Clay and Sally Clarkson). I've actually read this book before and highlighted many helpful tips. I just thought it would be nice to reread it... helps to get me in the "homeschool spirit". 



I've been enjoying Betty Thompson's book: Love Unending and Sarah Mae's, Having A Martha Home the Mary Way. These two books are presented to be read daily (similar to a devotional). Both have been helpful and eye opening.  




Last, but not least... I am reading The Shack, by: William Paul Young. I wasn't sure if I truly wanted to read this book. I have heard so many conflicting reviews about it, however, I decided to dive in and decide for myself. So far it's been interesting and sad, there have been a few things I haven't agreed with in the book.. we'll see what I think when I'm finished. 



Aidan (11 years old):

Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2 -  What boy doesn't like Marvel? Mine sure do! Aidan chose this book (not letting us watch the movie until he finishes, ha!) and he is also reading - Batman's Guide To Being Cool. I am happy he picked books like these. Each year I sit down with the boys and let them help chose books for the upcoming school year. Aidan has always chosen historical fiction. This was a nice change of pace for him.  





Noah (9 years old):

Our youngest son Noah LOVES to read! He must take that after his Mommy! He chose to re-read one of his favorite book, Tucker's Countyside; he is also going to enjoy Diary Of A Wimpy Kid - Double Down and Dogman. He informed us that when he finishes he wants to start on this school book list. I'm sure that won't take long. 






That's what we will be reading during our break... along with swimming, vacations, playing with friends and family and much more! 

How about you? What will you be reading?  

No comments:

Post a Comment